Structure and Strategy
- Establish & maintain a central coordinating hub for OH entity, to include rep’s from FAC/GA & all active WG’s;
- Enable & promote transparency & accountability of OH structural self-governance & policies
- Promote inter-group info sharing
- Encourage & enable a two-way bridge for Virtual Occupier/Supporters to participate &engage
- Enable physical and virtual venues for developing & refining long range strategic planning
Online; once per month w/ Occupy Solidarity Sundays TBA soon (third Sunday of every month, tentative)
- Main- SSWG@occupyhouston.org
- Secondary- firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com
- Facebook Open Group = http://www.facebook.com/groups/179653188815196/
Goals And Objectvies
- Establish a central coordinating hub for Occupy Houston, to include rep’s from FAC/GA & all active WG’s;
- Provide a two-way bridge for Virtual Occupier/Supporters to participate & engage
- Enable & promote transparency & accountability of OH structural governance & policies
- Promote inter-group info sharing
- Facilitate more & better engagement with Virtual Supporters/Occupiers
- Provide venues for developing & refining long range strategic planning
What Is Structure and Strategy?
Work with FAC-GA WG and Web WG to:
- Document and disseminate existing P’s & P’s
- Sponsor & promote open fluid discussion opportunities for developments and revisions of both structure and strategies: Every 3rd SUNDAY at Tq Park 4PM + Monday Follow-Up in social media & Forum. FIRST Sunday launch w/b Feb 19
- Liaison with GA and WG’s to share info, ideas, & plans and relay same via website (and wiki) in a clear organized accessible fashion.
- Consolidate organizational core documents:
- Declaration of Occupation
- Principles of Solidarity
- Good Neighbor Policy
- GA Handbook
- Welcome Newcomers Guide
- Work Group Guidelines
- Each Work Group’s Charter & basic info
- Publish above to (website + wiki); and physical Binder on site TqPk
- Keep current: Update edit above as needed when changes are made
Sponsor & promote creation of venues for all WG Magnets to convene monthly to review, brainstorm, various strategies for our movement moving forward, including but not limited to:
- Discussion of specific Tactics and longer range Strategies:
- Tq Park encampment; (oh well – kr)
- Political Action: inter-actions with Mayor, City Council, etc;
- Outreach Teach Ins, Speakers, community org’s
- Foreclosures Focus;
- Direct Actions;
- Internet, Social Media and PR in general;
- Cohesive Messaging;
- Spring Re-Launch Planning
SOS WG willing to serve as a vehicle for strategizing among and between:
- WG Magnets, liaisons (SOS will represent if asked WG’s Proposals to GA)
- GA = ?
- Outreach = ?
- Logistics = ?
- Web = Karen ? also Media = Lief
- Web-wiki = Mary ?
- Direct Action = Dustin, Andy? ???
- PoliAction = Joe R, Remington
- OHPaper = Massoud
- Liaison with Virtuals:?
Create, monitor & moderate a Forum Topic area for pre-float Proposals & develop them for presentation to GA for vote/accept.
So, I am going to vent some ideas here in hopes to make better a negative situation that I feel highly responsible for. I want to try and make it better, but I desperately don't want it to sound like this was intentional to get my ideas heard. I apologize. In trying to make this better, I've had a chance to sit down and talk to Amy and finally get a grasp on what the situation is for those who want structure. Now how do we do this and in a compromise form that still respects our values? Here's my idea....
- Form this new council as just another work group. This work group can be formed by 1 or 2 people from every functioning #OH WG and a couple of "floaters". The "duties" of this WG being to pass information and whatever else that long ass statement (that I still haven't read all the way through) says.
- Friday, hold a regular facilitation meeting and try to get some schooled facilitators in this group to really tune up our skills. Facilitation needs a meeting anyways. At this meeting, we can address agenda for Sunday's Strategy Meeting. We can also brainstorm some of the issues that people are having with GA and try and create some solutions to bring back up at Sunday's GA. For ex. proposal format and blocks. On a sidenote, I'd rather not facilitate at all on Sunday.
- In the meantime, now that the wiki is up and running, we should try and check around to update and make sure the contacts are correct, then launch it. Promote it.
- Saturday, I work on an apology statement. Yes, I feel the need to ask some GA time to apologize for my behavior last Sunday. (This is me voicing something for my to do list.)
- Sunday Strategy/GA...If the group consensus on this being a WG Coorinating Work Group, and that it be made up of volunteer reps from each WG, then we break out into mini work group meetings and each group decide how they want to choose a rep to be in this group. We come back together and communicate.
- Also, GA process still needs to be addressed per the past 2 weeks agenda. Which hopefully, facilitation can come up with some decent proposals before Sunday.
- At some point, I think it would be HIGHLY beneficial to point out the difference between structure and process at Sunday's GA. After talking with Amy these past couple of days, I see the structure people truly feel something is lacking, and the process people feel they are addressing the issues, but we're not. Or at least not in a satisfactory manner. So, we need this discussion, like whoa.
These are just some thoughts floating around. I think I'm going to start working on the WG updates.